Pages

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Blog Challenge Day 11: Your Family

In the first part of the year my brother moved in with us to save some money, and after listening to his opinions for more than half a year I have some serious concerns about how he will react to my plans to become an SMC.

He, like the rest of my family, will not find out about my plans until or unless there is an actual baby on the way. But even when there is a baby I worry about his reaction to the whole idea of using a sperm donor to conceive a child, as well as raising a child without a father.

Over the years he has taken a path opposite to mine on several issues and his latest girlfriend is pulling him further down this path. It is no use arguing with him because he is one of those people who believes his opinion is always right and he is not very open minded. I don't believe that even if I explained my reasons for choosing to be an SMC that he would really listen or even try to understand.
And even if he did accept my choice I worry about some of the things he says sometimes. Things that are bordering on misogynistic. I don't want any son or daughter of mine around to hear that.

Yet, on the one hand I don't want to vilify him since he can be a nice person a lot of the time, but on the other hand I don't want to make excuses for him just because he's been through a divorce, which I think was the event that changed him most.

I think that unless he makes some kind of effort to be understanding and accepting, my best bet is probably to make sure my kids don't see their uncle very often, which is sad but probably better for everyone.

1 comment:

  1. That's tough. I hope for your sake he surprises you but it doesn't sound like it will. Family relationships are so complicated.

    ReplyDelete