Pages

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Blog Challenge Day 20: Your Fears

I think I've shared my fears on here before in various previous posts, the biggest of which would be ending up childless and alone. But rather than rehash some of the deep fears that I have already shared I thought maybe I'd talk about a slightly more superficial one - my fear of spiders and anything with more than six legs.

I hate them. They move so quickly on those long thin legs and they always seem like they are plotting to get me. It doesn't even matter that most of them aren't deadly to humans, there is just something so creepy in the way they look and move. In fact, I think there is only one deadly spider native to where I live, the Black Widow, and despite living here my whole life I'm not sure that I've ever officially seen one. And I hope I never do.

Anyway, just thinking of spiders brings to mind one time when I nearly ran into a Cookie spider. I was in high school and horse-crazy so I cleaned stalls at a barn after school in exchange for riding lessons. The fresh bedding for the stalls was kept on the other side of the arena so I had my cart and I was heading to get some. I started off across the arena not really paying much attention when my eyes focused at the very last second to see a large Cookie spider hanging down right in front of me, right at face level. Had I not looked up at that moment I would have literally run face first into the big ugly thing. Fortunately I was able to move aside and avoid hitting it. Even now, over a decade later, the memory still makes me shudder and gives me that creepy-crawly feeling.

And then there are centipedes and their ilk who just have way too many legs and also move at lightning speed. Disgusting.

1 comment:

  1. I don't like spiders but don't mind them. I fear things that fly, but bees/hornets most of all

    ReplyDelete