Pages

Friday, June 24, 2011

It's My Party - What if, Part 4

What if I'm the only one who is excited about my pregnancy/baby/children?

Probably one of the more selfish "what ifs" but it is something I think about.

I always thought if I had a husband I would at least have one other person to share with me in the excitement of having a baby. But as a single woman I know I will have to lead the happiness parade all on my own.
Still, I would like my family and friends to be excited about me having a baby. I want them to ask me questions about my pregnancy, and eagerly plan a baby shower, and excitedly await the baby's arrival. I know I will be ecstatic and it would be nice if the others shared my enthusiasm. But...
I remember when my sister was pregnant with her third child (my parents' fourth grandchild), my mother admitted to me that she wasn't as excited about it like she was for the others. She thought it might be because it had been done three times already and there was nothing new about it.
I'll admit my heart sunk a little after hearing that. If she wasn't very excited about the fourth one how would she feel about the fifth or sixth?

I also wonder if anyone will offer to throw me a baby shower or will I have to commit a faux pas and invite people myself ?(I don't think I have the audacity to actually do that)
And how will my parents feel about another grandchild to babysit?(if/when I need them to) The last nine years of babysitting have taken a toll and my parents are only getting older. Sure, they'd be fine with it every once in a while, but what if I need them more?(oh no, more what ifs....)
Also, my parents bought a lot of baby accessories (crib, car seats, toys, etc) so they could babysit their grandkids and now that the youngest is almost three they are starting to get rid of some of it. I can't exactly beg them to keep it since I don't want them to know of my plan, yet I don't know how they'll react if they find out they need to buy it all again. (I would love to be able to buy it or provide it for them but I can't predict my financial situation that far ahead)

So, here's my contingency plan: I will pepper everyone with my enthusiasm and hope it catches on. And if no one plans me a shower then I will go out and buy myself some baby things, make a cake, put on a party hat and relax. It will be Baby Shower - Party of one (and a half!)

1 comment:

  1. I had a similar worry with my parents - I was having their third grandchild, and when I found out it was going to be their third grandSON I wondered how excited they would be. Turns out I worried for nothing - it's completely different because it's my son, not my sister's.

    As for your friends - when you share your excitement over your dream coming true, they'l probably be thrilled for you. I know my friends have been.

    I think your baby is likely to be eagerly anticipated and well loved by most everyone who's important to you.

    ReplyDelete