So, over the next few posts I'd like to expand upon the "what ifs" I mentioned in the last post and perhaps I will be able to come to terms with them and what it will mean for my future.
First up: Family Acceptance
| You did what?!? (Image courtesy of Google Images) |
My father: He will be confused. He doesn't wear his emotions for all to see but I expect he'll generally be supportive, though he probably won't give it much thought.
My mother: She is the linchpin and the "unknown quantity". She likes babies and she managed to weather my brother's "oops" pregnancy with his then girlfriend. If she reacts well then the rest of the family might follow suit but it is hard for me to tell exactly how she will react. She will probably wonder if I've thought of all the challenges and then she will point them out to me. She could also be the most supportive family member and is the one most likely to ask me questions.
My sister: She will be shocked and horrified that I would choose to have a baby with a stranger and at so young an age!! (Ironic considering she had her third and final child at 29 - but since I am the younger sister I never seem to grow up in her eyes) Anyway, I have no doubts about this reaction. Hopefully she will come around, but it might take a while.
My brother: Also a somewhat unknown quantity. He is likely to think it is all weird. He also has some strong opinions on fathers and their role in a child's life. I expect awkwardness to predominate.
My grandparents: My grandma is in her nineties and my grandpa will be ninety soon and the sad truth is they might not be around. But if they are I expect they will be grandly confused.
My Nieces and Nephews: Depending on what their parents share with them and how old they are at the time they are likely to be the most excited/indifferent. When I am 30 the oldest will be 12, the youngest will be 5.
The Family's reaction in general: It is very likely they won't even ask who the father is which kind of bothers me. They might just assume it's my friend PBJ (he is one of my good friends and not to be confused with PB&J which is of course a tasty sandwich!!). They will all likely tiptoe around the entire donor subject in my presence then discuss it more openly when I'm not around. My mother will surely be the designated question-asker who will then disseminate the information to the others as well as to the extended family. This also kind of bothers me as I would like them to ask their questions to my face.
But will I lose them over this? I don't think I will be disowned or cast out, but certain family members might not come around until there is a flesh-and-blood child present and/or they've had time to wrap their heads around the donor situation, which could take a while. So in the meantime I will try not to dwell on their imagined opinions.
Good Luck, it can be hard when people do not understand. But remember you have to be happy and they will fall into place.
ReplyDeleteHang in there and I know we are not family, but there are a lot of us around that support you all the way!