I've been thinking a lot about exercise lately. It seems some people get an endorphin rush and a natural high from working out. I seem to have missed the boat on that one. Exercise rarely makes me feel "pumped" and more often than not just leaves me feeling tired. Which is probably why it feels so much like a chore to me.
The only exercise I look forward to is swimming, which is tied to several happy childhood memories from the days when I used to pretend I was a mermaid. It's not so much about pretending I'm a mermaid anymore but rather it feels like more of a challenge and far more interesting than, say, the stationary bike. Which is odd because the stationary bike comes packed with entertainment. I have my choice of TV, music, books, etc. but nothing can seem to make that damn bike exciting. But with swimming I have none of that entertainment and I still feel better about it. Whatever works, right?
Sadly this summer may be the last time for a long time that I will get to enjoy swimming as a workout. When the end of summer rolls around my health insurance is due to be renewed and the company has informed me that my rate will more than double. I got my gym membership back when I had a full-time job and could afford it. Now with only part-time work, plus paying for school, plus the rising cost of health insurance I simply can't justify having a membership anymore.
It's ironic that I have to give up one of the things keeping me healthy in order to pay for a business that would really prefer I stay healthy. Too bad health insurance companies don't give a discount for joining a gym.
Oddly, I was just this morning telling my mom that water is my stress reducer. I take a long hot shower when I am stressed, and swimming really helps me clear my mind (I think it is the silence under the water). Are you taking classes entirely on line, or is there a local school as a satellite location? If so, find out if there is a pool. I hope you are able to find a way to make it work.
ReplyDeleteI love swimming too. The timing of the pools near me just don't work for my schedule tho :( I do take Elena all the time for fun, but I don't think that counts as a workout
ReplyDeleteAgreed. Gym memberships should be subsidised.
ReplyDeleteAs for feeling the endorphin rush, I've had that but sometimes I'm just tired and it also often feels like a chore to me too. I think what I eat at lunch has an impact but I haven't researched what I could be doing better.