Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

Crime & Punishment & More

The next reason I'm happy to be single is actually a combination of two reasons that share the same general topic:

8. Fighting
The two parts of this one are arguing over the discipline of a child and actually fighting in front of the children.

Do you prefer time-out? What if he prefers a more extreme punishment like spanking? What if you agree on a punishment only to have him relent before the agreed punishment is over? Maybe you're the one who wants to relent. And while you're too busy arguing over what kind of punishment is best, and how to mete it out, your child is getting mixed messages and/or getting into more trouble.

You know that uncomfortable feeling you get when two people are arguing and you're nearby? Sometimes I've had that same uncomfortable feeling watching couples argue on FB. I don't like to argue or fight and I don't like to be around other people doing it. And I know kids are affected by fighting, especially when it's between the two people they're most familiar with. And even if the fighting is just words and never escalates into yelling, slamming doors, breaking things, or abuse it is still uncomfortable and not something I want to put my kids through.

No comments:

Post a Comment