It's really great to hear what systems work best for others while raising kids, whether staying near family or not having family close by. I just wish I knew what would work best for me. Not for the first time do I wish I had a crystal ball that would show me how things would turn out should I make one decision or the other.
One thing I am sure on is that at some point after having a kid I will need some form of childcare. Honestly, the only people I think I would truly trust to care for my child on a regular basis are myself and my parents. It's not that I don't believe that there are fantastic nannies and daycare centers out there, it is just part of my personality that I will always end up worrying about what could go wrong if I have to leave something so precious in the hands of someone I barely know.
My hangups about childcare would seem to be a pro for staying near my parents but I know I'll have to get some other form of childcare for part of the time anyway, because while I know they enjoy babysitting my nieces and nephews, I also know they enjoy having days in between to do their own thing.
So, if I need childcare for a few days a week anyway, is it really that much of a stretch to get childcare for five days a week, so long as I could find a place or a person I trust?
My other issue with childcare is a far future one - what do working parents do with school-age children who are too old for daycare but too young to be home by themselves for a few hours after school? I guess there are after-school programs, or babysitters, or maybe work would be flexible but what about during the summer?
Many of my friends have sent their children to day camps and specific summer programs.
ReplyDeleteMany daycares have what is called "wrap around care" available to school age children. The child is dropped off at daycare in the morning, the daycare then takes them to school and picks them up in a van. The daycare then is able to care for the child during school breaks. That is why many daycares advertise that thy care for children from 6 weeks old to 13 years old. That is probably what I will need to end up doing for my son, he will not be attending a school that is in the district I teach for so we will have different breaks. Another thing I have thought about, is finding a nearby family that has a child going to the same school as my son....maybe trade off babysitting.
ReplyDeleteWhat Ali said. And you may find that there are "Before and After" programs in the school itself. (The school where my mom works offers that type of program.)
ReplyDeleteI'm like you and was one of those people who thought I could never trust anyone other than family to care for my child. But I found myself in a position where I had no choice but to put him in daycare. It was scary for me (and perhaps for him, too, at the beginning), but we've been very lucky in finding a daycare with awesome staff and I'm now completely comfortable with him being there.