Like I mentioned in my last post, I am going to try blogging at least once per week and much of said blogging will be about my craft projects.
I really should be starting with the one project I have that has an actual due date (October) since it will take me a long time to do it right. However, that project is intimidating me right now so I've decided to work on something else for the time being.
The Beaded Scarf
This is one of those projects I found in a beading book of mine that I thought looked cool. I originally began the project in 2011 but set it aside while I waited for some beads that were on backorder. By the time the beads arrived I was busy with other things, the project got shoved aside, and eventually I forgot about it. But when I sat down to think of projects I could do the scarf popped into my head again.
There are a few challenges to this project. First, I've never really knitted a complete project. Second, there are something like 38,000 beads in this scarf (I wish I were exaggerating that number). Here are some pictures to illustrate.
I find this white plastic tub is perfect for keeping everything in the project together and it makes for easy transportation (within my house) but most importantly it is great for corralling the tiny beads I am working with.
For those of you that bead, the beads I am working with are size 11/0 seed beads (in the tubes on the right).
For those of you that knit, the needles I am using are size 0000 (that's them on the left).
The red "string" is perle cotton.
That should hopefully give some idea of the scale of this project.
My first task is to string every last one of those beads onto that perle cotton. I already strung one tube of beads back in 2011. Last night I started stringing the second tube (out of five total) and after three hours straight I only got maybe a quarter of the tube done.
At least I can watch t.v. or listen to music while I work on this project because I predict several more hours spent stringing beads.


Sounds like a good way to pass the time. When I quit smoking (9 years ago now, yeah me!) I did this type of craft to keep my hands busy...didn the trick but I have no patience now for it!! Can't wait to see the finished product!
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to see how it turns out. Those are some tiny beads!
ReplyDeleteI knit and am familiar with the size of those beads. Small. Tiny.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to see it and see the progress.