I'm finally getting around to My Life Feels Like a Cosmic Joke, Part 2.
The Past
*This first part is a cliffs notes version of one of the worst times in my life and I will never be able to fully convey in this, or any blog post, just how bad it was, so I will stick with a summary.*
My best friend in college up and decided one day she no longer wanted to be my friend. It was literally overnight that she decided this. Her excuse? I was too "depressed". I was shocked as I had never been depressed up to that point. I don't know if she misinterpreted my introversion for depression (I never laughed as loudly at her lame jokes as our other friends did) or if she was taking her hurt over her parents' divorce out on me. Whatever the real excuse she went from warm friend one day to icy bitch the next and no amount of tears or effort on my part convinced her to be anything less than cold and indifferent to me for the remaining three months we had to live together until college graduation. Those final three months were pure torture. Throw a boy into the mix (a boy my ex-friend also had history with), add in some "friends" gleeful for gossip, and you have a recipe for the deep depression I ended up falling into and which took me years to climb out of.
During and after the fallout we continued to share mutual friends. This has meant being brought together over the years for weddings and baby showers, etc. It has also meant any gossip in my life finds its way to her and vice versa.
So, one of the things that sustained me over the years was the old saying "living better is the best revenge".
I was going to have the better life and for once she would be jealous of me.
The Present
If you regularly read my blog then you know that I went from a low-paying job to a crappy higher-paying job, to temp work, and finally back to school with occasional low-paying part-time work. I still live with my parents and, with hardly any income on my part, I am sure to be in their house for the foreseeable future. I don't have a boyfriend and prospects for finding one are rather low. This is how my life stands right now.
How has my ex-friend fared? Thanks to nepotism she was able to land a job she was barely qualified for at a company that was recently voted one of the best and nicest in town. She must be doing okay at it because she got a promotion about a year or two ago. It's a good paying job and she was able to move out of her mom's house just a few years after college. But the real kick in the gut to me was learning of her engagement last year. She came with her boyfriend to our mutual friend's wedding last February and I will be honest and admit that he is decently good looking. As far as I know they were married last September. I'm sure it is only a matter of time before I hear that she's knocked up.
So much for living better and revenge.
I can understand completely. My high school BF always seemed to luck out...awesome job with tons of perks even though she works less than me, married quickly (divorced the jerk), dates a bunch of guys (including one that I had a crush on first), married a second time, gets pregnant easily, now lives in huge house. We had many rocky moments over the years in which I feel I was the victim in our relationship. Now we talk occasionally, but we aren't close. What got me through those rough times? Knowing at the end of the day she is a fake person, and I may not live a glamourous life, but I have worked hard for what I have, and I make a difference in other's lives (while she wastes time with more shallow endeavors such as finding designer jeans with cool pocket designs, and no, that isn't me exaggerating).
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry that you were treated that way by someone that was so close to you. It is hard to find a replacement best friend, but I promise you it will happen.
It sucks that she turned against you and then that you had to continue living with her. It is hard that you still have to know about her. While it is frustrating now, I know you will move forward and will have a wonderful life of your own- one which you worked hard to achieve.
ReplyDeleteI never understood how life seems so easy for some people and so hard for others (myself included).
ReplyDeleteIn a way I think it's a blessing she decided not to be friends because she sounds like a terrible person. Who does that to someone? Still, I can understand the frustration of it all.
Oh that sucks...I had a similar experience with a "friend" Last time I ran into her, I was in a very bad place & have always wished I would un into her now that my life is on track to prove I worked out in the end...then I remind myself I don't care what she thinks now...at least I don't want to care ;)
ReplyDelete