Pages

Sunday, November 9, 2014

A Light in the Darkness

This week was one of great frustration and great excitement. At the beginning of the week I had my advising appointment so I could sign up for next semester's classes. I was under the impression I had six classes left which I was going to fit into spring and summer and be done by the end of next July at the very latest. So my adviser started ticking off the classes I had already taken and came up with seven left. Whaaaaat?!

Unnoticed by me, in small italic font, wedged at the bottom of one semester's list of requirements was an elective credit. And it must be a business elective, they wouldn't count any of the electives I had transferred in from my previous degree. And electives aren't offered in the summer, only certain core classes, and even those aren't guaranteed.

Oh, the frustration and disappointment of finding out that instead of being done with school in nine months at most, it will actually take me 13.5 more months. That one year from now I will still be right where I am. Oh, the pain of learning I have yet another class to pay for along with books and the tacked-on administrative fees that come with every new semester's tuition bill. The frustration of realizing I will be nearly 32 by the time I graduate, instead of just past 31. The disappointment of realizing that having to go to school through next December means no graduation vacation.

It's either that or I attempt to take six classes in the spring. Five classes in one semester I think I could have handled, but six just seems to tip the scales too much, especially when one is something like a mini thesis course.

This week would have been a very bad week if it hadn't been for the day after advising. On that day I came up with a wonderful business idea. And with that I could see light at the end of the tunnel. Finally a concrete career path to pursue that actually excites me. Something that, if it works out, might allow me to become an SMC while also being satisfied in my work life. It's intimidating to think about starting my own business, but exciting as well. And it, combined with the kerfuffle over classes, was almost enough to make me quit school once this semester is over, but for now I have chosen to continue finishing the degree. At least it is something to fall back on.

However, I still wonder if it wouldn't be better to quit, take on extra work at my current job or get another part-time job to save up some money while working on my business in the off hours. I don't know, I guess it's a gamble either way.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds so incredibly frustrating! Would it be possible to take that one elective as an online class thru another college?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very frustrating for you! I'm sorry for the adjusted timeline.

    ReplyDelete