I found out recently that my boss plans on putting the business up for sale at the beginning of next year. I can't say this comes as a huge surprise because she is at retirement age now. Also, her husband is retired and wants to travel a lot and naturally she wants to go with him.
However, if she doesn't sell she is apparently planning on closing the business which would be a shame as it has been around for nearly 40 years.
Thinking about the business closing or changing hands has me kind of sad and I've come to realize the place has become a kind of security blanket for me after that last disastrous job change. After all, my boss was kind enough to allow me to come back part-time, as well as working in the off-hours at my own discretion, in order to finish projects. I don't imagine a new owner would be quite so relaxed about that.
Of course I always figured I'd be moving on after I am done with school anyway, and hopefully I should be done sometime in the middle of next summer, so the business closing or changing owners doesn't directly affect me as much. However, it does add a little to my panic over the post-graduation job hunt because I was planning on working there while I search for something more permanent, and it means no longer having a security blanket to run back to should I end up in another crappy job situation.
*Sigh* I'm happy for my boss that she will get to move into retirement one way or another. I just wish I could find the right job already, end my constant questioning over what line of work would be best for me, and have that part of my life settled so I can move on to thinking about other things.
I definitely understand the "security blanket" and being uncomfortable with it being removed. I hope that things go smoothly with the transition.
ReplyDeleteOrrrrr, maybe a door just opened? How would your boss feel about your running it after graduation rather than closing it? She could essentially become a silent partner.
ReplyDelete