My embroidery is definitely the stuff of beginners (so don't look too closely at my pictures!) but having done it I am ashamed I put if off for so long. I was so worried about messing things up that I didn't start until now when I have so little time left and now that I've got the hang of it I'd really like to do more for the costume, I just lack the time.
Anyway, I wanted a snowflake pattern but not a typical snowflake, something more stylized and I found the perfect match with this Celtic snowflake which I found on Urban Threads. Really I can't plug this website enough. It's fun, it's fresh and it's definitely not your grandmother's embroidery. Go check it out if you're interested in embroidery and want something a little different.
Okay, here's the pattern I got:

And here is my embroidery of it:
It looks darker in the pictures but it's white embroidery floss on white polyester shantung using a simple backstitch. I thought white on white might be hard but turns out it hides my uneven stitches fairly well when it's off the hoop. However, because it's white on white it has a tendency in certain lights to look like wrinkles in the fabric (or that could be my beginner embroidery skills) and I wonder if maybe I should have done silver on white instead. Oh well, no going back now.


It looks beautiful to me! I can't wait to see the finished costume!
ReplyDeleteI think it looks absolutely fabulous!!! I also look forward to seeing the finished prduct.
ReplyDelete