Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Donor vs. Dad, What if? - Part 6

What if my child resents not having a father?

What single mother by choice doesn't worry about this?

Will my future child be angry that I conceived them knowing there would be no father in their life? Will they feel as though something is missing, and will that feeling forever haunt them? What about those sappy Father's Day cards/commercials? How will they feel when they see other kids and dads interacting? Will they be envious of their friends who have dads? Will they fantasize about their donor as the perfect father? Will they be disappointed if he's not like they hoped?

My child's reaction to growing up without a father is something that I can't predict or necessarily control. My kid may feel fine about not having a dad, or may feel as though they have a hole that isn't adequately filled. Or they could embody each of these feelings at different phases in their life. And while I can't control things entirely there are some things I can do that will hopefully minimize the impact of not having a father.

  1. I won't lie to my child about how they came to be. I will be open and honest and when they start asking questions I will try to answer them in an age-appropriate fashion. 
  2. I plan to surround my child with positive male influences (right now I have my dad, my brother, my brother-in-law and my male friends).
  3. I will do my level best to enrich my child's life and make it as fulfilling as possible.
  4. I plan on using an open-identity anonymous donor. That way my child can have the option of contacting him if they want.
But, will these four things be enough? I'm afraid that only time will tell.

On a personal note...I don't know what it's like to grow up without a dad, but I do know what it's like to wonder about one genetic side of my family. My mother is adopted. We know nothing about her birth family. She could have 10 brothers or sisters or she could be the illegitimate daughter of royalty for all we know. Right now my mother is content not searching for her birth family, and unless someone comes forward it is unlikely we will ever know who my mysterious grandparents are. Some days I am really curious about them, and then there are long stretches of time where it doesn't even cross my mind. I wonder if this is how my child will feel?

1 comment:

  1. I had - and still had - this worry. I've heard from SMCs with older children that it really isn't a big issue for most of them - probably because they knew about it from an early age. I just hope that holds true for my children and for yours!

    ReplyDelete