Time to narrow down the donors because I need to purchase really soon.
This is mostly just for fun, though any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
This is mostly just for fun, though any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Also, two things I really want to know from those who have gone before me are - did you feel a "connection" with your donor? And did you ever want to know things you'll probably never know about the donor? (Like, does he share your hatred of cantaloupe or something like that?)
Because, honestly, none of
these donors give me that special "he's the one" feeling. There was one donor I was leaning toward who no longer has vials available and does not appear to be donating anymore. Otherwise, I don't know if I feel a disconnect because I
can't see how these guys look and act in person, if I'm just not feeling it
because none of them are, in fact, the "right" donor, or because I'm still a little hung-up on my crush.**
Having got that off my chest, let's proceed. I tried to distill the descriptions down to the most noteworthy aspects so as not to make what will be a long post even longer. Mostly they deal with looks, interests, and health history.
Having got that off my chest, let's proceed. I tried to distill the descriptions down to the most noteworthy aspects so as not to make what will be a long post even longer. Mostly they deal with looks, interests, and health history.
(Truth time – some of my likes/dislikes about these donors feel superficial. Some of it I would definitely forgive/forget if the guy were my husband. Then again, I'd know so much more about the guy if he were my husband, so I guess it's a trade-off. Also, since I’m
allowed to have a choice, and since I’m paying a pretty penny for the
opportunity to choose, I feel a little superficiality may be allowable.)
Starting with the donors that are currently available, in no
particular order:
- Donor 1 - The Lookalike
- This donor has thick, straight strawberry blond hair and beautiful green eyes (according to staff). His interests include running, football, and the outdoors.
- There is a history of lifestyle-related cancer and diabetes in his family and he’s had no reported pregnancies.
- Donor 2 - The Leftie
- With green eyes and straight, thick brown hair, this left-handed environmental engineering undergrad has many interests in common with me including pets, the outdoors, dancing, music, and tabletop gaming. He is also one of the few donors to have reported pregnancies.
- However, his vision is poor, he required orthodontia growing up, he tested as a carrier for four recessive genetic conditions – most worrisome being deafness as there is a family history of it on my side. There has also been early death and early strokes in his family.
- Donor 3 - Mr. Kittycat
- I’m a sucker for a guy who likes cats, and this brown-eyed, brown-haired donor has one! He also enjoys quiet things as well as music and football. Currently pursuing a degree in Accounting/Finance.
-
The most worrisome thing in his family health history is his mother’s uterine cancer in her 30’s. Otherwise he has poor vision and required orthodontia. Also, he’s had no reported pregnancies.
- Donor 4 - Mr. Military
- Sporting wavy dark brown hair and green eyes, this donor is outgoing and loves adventure and physical fitness. He didn’t require orthodontia growing up and currently needs no vision correction.
-
However, some of his other interests lead me to believe he wouldn’t be dating material if we met in person. He’s had no reported pregnancies, though his essay says he enjoys raising his own kids. There is a family history of cancer and diabetes and he has limited vials available (though he’s still donating to the program).
- Donor 5 - The Singer
-
According to staff this donor has a great singing voice. He also plays different instruments, likes radio, and his favorite sport is football. He currently has an Associates in Music. He enjoys puzzle games and reading. His essay makes him seem like someone I’d date. He also has wavy blond hair and blue eyes, required no orthodontia and needs no lenses to correct his vision.
-
Family health history shows instances of colon cancer on both sides, as well as Alzheimer’s, stroke, and Crohn’s disease. There are no reported pregnancies.
- Donor 6 - The Rock Climber
- Thick wavy dark blond hair and blue eyes complement this tall, thin rock climber. His vision requires no corrective lenses. He’s into athletics and holds an Associates degree. According to his essay, he is outgoing and seems like someone I could maybe date.
-
He required orthodontia growing up and his family health history includes heart disease, skin cancer on both sides of the family due to sun exposure, osteoarthritis, heart arrhythmia, and lifestyle-related Type II diabetes.
- Donor 7 - The Artist (not formerly known as Prince)
-
Interests line up with some of my own including drawing, reading, painting, and art. Staff impressions say this blond-haired, blue-eyed donor is smiley and good looking. He has no lenses for corrective vision and is ambidextrous. His essay seems like someone I’d date and he’s had reported pregnancies.
-
So far, he only has a high school education and he required orthodontia. Family member health history shows lung cancer (from smoking), heart attack, eczema, and osteoarthritis. He’s extremely limited in available vials and is not currently donating.
- Donor 8 - The Dancer
- This nursing student has thick curly brown hair and blue eyes. He tested negative for all recessive genetic disorders and wears no corrective lenses. He loves to dance, likes sports, and is learning to play the piano.
-
However, he did required orthodontia, has no reported pregnancies, and family health history includes heart problems, liver disease, and glaucoma.
- Donor 9 - The Swimmer
- Sporting thick, wavy dark brown hair and brown eyes this donor has no corrective lenses for vision and tested negative for recessive genetic disorders. He loves playing with his dog, swimming, cooking, and computer programming.
-
His family has a history of dementia, he required orthodontia, and so far has no reported pregnancies.
**A quick note on my crush – the status quo has not changed.
I'm not sure on picking, but for your other questions--- I found it much easier to feel a connection when I stopped thinking about them as husbands and started as friends. (I realized I was rejecting donors for seeming too young and immature.) Also I thought I didn't care about looks, but it WAS disconcerting with a baby to have everyone always asking where the red hair came from.
ReplyDeleteAnd now with a four-year-old, I find I rarely think about the donor at all, except when something medical comes up.
When I was going the donor route, I wanted to find someone as similar to me as possible in looks, interests and personality. I think it's because I wanted to avoid the "where did he/she get that from?" as much as possible, if that makes sense. On the other hand, you may want a donor that has traits that you admire but that aren't your strengths.
ReplyDeleteSome of your prospects sound very good. Good luck in choosing!