I don't like my new job. At all.
Turns out the job I was offered (in the department I thought would be better suited to my personality) is really just a different, and possibly worse, version of the job I had pretty much made up my mind to turn down.
Years ago, when I started the search for a new job, I made a list of the things I wanted in my next job. One of the top things I wanted was little to no phone work. I can't emphasize enough how much I hate talking on the phone, especially to strangers. So guess what has comprised 99% of my job so far? Phone work. And no one will even tell me if that will continue to be the meat of my job or not. (And just so we're clear, there was some phone work mentioned in the description for the job I originally applied for, but nothing that indicated it would comprise this much of the job, especially as my job is supposedly in a different department.)
Add to that a slew of complicated computer programs (not to mention a whole book of laws, rules, and regulations) I've had to learn in less than two weeks. Plus the confusing customer questions, and the irate, frustrated customers.
Also, my cubicle is about as far from the supervisors as you can get. Normally that would be fine with me but I need to run to them with questions every five minutes. And my cube mate constantly bumps my chair no matter how far I have scooted my chair in. Oh, and I have to get up and go down a long hallway to even see a window. Not great for someone who suffers from Seasonal Affective Disorder.
Ugh, there is so much more I would mention but I hesitate to say it, even in vague terms. Heck, I'm a little bit nervous about what I've already mentioned because the company has a lengthy blogging policy and although I'm fairly sure they can't connect me with this blog, or indeed connect what I would say with the company, I'm not going to chance saying more. And I'm certainly not going anywhere near this blog on a work computer. Did I mention they have software that searches the internet looking for keywords in private blogs? (FYI, I might take this post off sometime in the future depending on how things turn out - in case you're wondering why it disappeared).
It seems like school is my best option now to get a job that I will be satisfied with, but school doesn't start until August, which is so very far away. I should have stayed with my old job. At least I would have had the flexibility to work mostly full-time and go to school at the same time. But I can't go back to my old job now because it is being given to someone else.
But if I quit the new job, without securing another job first, I will have a black mark on my resume. Also, it seems like employers only want to hire someone who is already employed. Not to mention I wouldn't have an income, which means I would be hemorrhaging money while I went to school and then searched for a new job.
But if I don't quit, I just might have a nervous breakdown, or a coronary, or something equally unpleasant.
I've never less looked forward to a Monday.
Oh that sucks!! I'm so sorry the new job is so bad! There's nothing worse than having to drag yourself to a job you hate.
ReplyDeleteOh no! :( I'm so sorry the new job isn't what you thought it would be. I've had jobs like that, so I know how awful it can be. In one, I only lasted three months before having to go on stress leave.
ReplyDeleteI hope things improve - or that you'll at least be able to hang in there until August.
That stinks! I hope things start to look up somehow.
ReplyDeleteThat really does suck! I am so sorry that this is so stressful. I hope it gets better and/or you find a new job quickly.
ReplyDeleteArg, that's terrible. Hopefully, it'll get better after an adjustment period and maybe you could try looking at the time from now until August as a search 'for the perfect job for a student'.
ReplyDeleteOh, and on the blog thing. You aren't writing a blog about work you are writing a blog about your personal life. I'm sure they can't tell you what you can do during your private life when it has no bearing on work unless you've signed a contract saying you wouldn't blog (about anything). I do think that in blogger settings you can disable the your blog from being catagorized by search engines. Maybe that will help.
I am so sorry :(
ReplyDeleteI don't go anywhere near my blog either at work. I don't comment on others at work either--I'm a little leary of the recent e-mails sent out saying not to watch streaming video. Who knows what they'll be checking for next!
Sorry your cube mate can't stay in their own spot and that there isn't a window nearby---that would really suck (says the claustrophobic ;) )
Hoping a job better suited for you comes along quickly that you can snap up!!!