Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Me and the Pope


Let's play spot the Pope...
Do you see him?

I took this picture as the Pope whizzed by in his Popemobile. Pretty damn good timing on my part considering I didn't have a digital camera at the time so I had no idea if I'd even caught him. Plus that Popemobile drives fast! Honestly, if there is a Vatican speed limit I'm pretty sure the Pope was breaking it.

Now, I don't exactly like talking about religion, but for the record I will say that I am not Catholic. But I am surrounded by Catholics. I swear, they follow me wherever I go. 
And when one is in Rome one indulges their Catholic friends with a trip to Vatican City (like I'd pass up a chance to visit any place remotely related to history) especially after said friends were kind enough to be dragged all over Rome indulging my love of ancient Roman ruins. And let me tell you, if you are a history (or art) buff go visit the Vatican Museum, it is spectacular!
Anyway, most of the world knows that the current (above-pictured) Pope is retiring. In essence, he put in his two-weeks notice. So has someone else.
That's right, all this to say I got a new job! And I will try to condense the story as much as possible.

The place I recently applied at called and offered me a position in a different department from what I had originally applied for. At first I hesitated to accept and asked for time to think about it. Truth be told, the phone call woke me up since I was out of town at the time and sleeping in after celebrating my friend's bachelorette party the night before. I wasn't hungover (really didn't drink that much) but I hadn't gotten to bed until around 4:00am so a 9:30am phone call had me scrambling to figure out why there was noise coming from my phone. (Can you tell I don't get called much?)
Anyway, I thought about it over that weekend, talked to one of my brother's friends who works there and decided this department might be a good fit for me. So I called them and accepted the position. I'm still not sure exactly what my duties will be so that has me a little nervous but everyone I've met there has been so nice and welcoming that I'm hoping it will be okay. Plus the benefits are great and the pay is more than I could ever hope to dream for as a starting wage. The only bad part right now is that the job starts at 8:00am which means getting up at 6:00am and I am not a morning person at all. But I guess it is practice for a baby since no baby seems capable of sleeping in.
And if I find that the job isn't a good fit for me (or me for the job) then I do have my back-up plan of going back to school (and begging to return part-time or full-time at my old job). But for now I am cautiously optimistic. Finally I will be making enough to tempt a mortgage lender which ultimately means the gears of my baby-making plan have begun their motions.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new job!! I hope it's a good fit for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoo-hoo! Congrats on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic. Congrats. I'd love to hang out in Rome, even at the religious venues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the new job! BTW -- That is a pretty good picture given he was whizzing by in his popemobile :-)

    ReplyDelete