Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A Series of Unfortunate Decisions

On Monday I quit my job. But let me back up a bit.

Last Wednesday my supervisor pulled me aside. She was concerned I wasn't getting the hang of the phones as fast as the other newbies. She asked if there was anything she or anyone could do to help. She implied if I didn't improve in a timely manner they might have to let me go. She asked me to think about things.

On Thursday we met again. She said they were willing to continue having someone sit with me for a while. She said she believed I could do it. I, however, couldn't get what she said on Wednesday out of my head. The damage was done to my already shaky confidence.

I powered through Friday as best I could but by the end of the day my mind was pretty well made up.

Over the weekend I should have thought about things more. I should have done my research into the local job market. I should have researched bookkeeping jobs more, especially what is offered around my state. I should have gone back through my earlier graduate school research again (as this seems to be what my mind naturally reverts back to). I should have thought more about what the job offered. I should have truly sat down and tried to learn what I'd been taught. I should have started the computer program instruction book I thought of on Sunday. Instead I watched t.v. and worked on my scrapbook. I did anything to keep the job out of my mind.

On Monday I quit.

Since then I have researched the job market. I have researched the potential of bookkeeping and graduate school (again). And I don't like what I see. 

I drove around to three businesses to give them resumes and drove past without stopping. I sent in an online application for a part-time job. I sent in an application for a temp agency. I'm supposed to mail in another resume tomorrow and visit another temp agency. But the market is dead here and all I can think about is how most of the jobs offered are $4.00 less than what I was just making, and most are part-time without benefits. Nothing feels right.

The job I worked right before the new one has hired someone else and really can't afford to hire me back, even at the low wage I had there.

I have half a mind to call up my supervisor and ask her to give me another chance. It's not like I have anything to lose, right? I know I could grit my teeth and bear it this time.

I remember at my old job how I dreamed of having some extended time off to get some major projects done. Just a few weeks or months dedicated to checking things off my long list of things to do. Now I am faced with all the time in the world to get these things done and I can't bring myself to do them. It feels like cheating to take advantage of this time off.

Be careful what you wish for...it just might come true.


5 comments:

  1. Oh no! I am so sorry! I was in a similar situation as you once. After many resumes were sent out with no response I actually had to apply for social assistance. In that process, I had to get info from my old job. When they found out I was out of work, they hired me back. So maybe it couldn't hurt to let them know you're available. Their new person may suck& they may be missing you. Who knows but it couldn't hurt.

    This just sucks tho having to go thru all this uncertainty. Hope it all works out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh damn. :( I'm sorry that things didn't work out with the new place and that the job market is looking so bleak right now.

    I faced a similar situation several years ago. I quit my crummy retail job to work at a call center. I stupidly thought it would be better for me, but it was worse, and I quit after 3 months. I managed to find a part-time temp job, but it was only for 6 months and after that...what? Being in such an uncertain situation regarding my employment made me finally make the decision to finish my master's degree. It was tough, no doubt about it, but well worth it in the end.

    I hope something positive comes your way very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh!! Well that sucks :( Now I feel really bad about talking about how much I love my new position *hides face*.
    I wish I had some awesome advice right now. I truly wish something would just "fall in your lap" the perfect job. Or at least your old job.
    So sorry!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We can look at what we should have done to no end. What's done is done. You weren't happy at your old job either and I think it's probably just the familiarity of it that looks good now, although it probably wouldn't hurt to let them know you are available.

    Don't hang your head, because like you said you have all the time in the world, try to make use of it. Do your best to get something that pays the bills, even if it is part time and no benefits and then take it from there. And apply for things you don't think you're qualified for because you never know what they are really looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh...I am so sorry that the new job was not what you expected :-( I really hope that you find something soon, even if its just for the interim to pay bills while you determine a lnger term plan. All the best!!!

    ReplyDelete