So, this post has been sitting in my drafts for a while now. I forgot I didn't publish it earlier but now I need to add more anyway.
The blood tests have confirmed that I have PCOS. My A1C is riding just barely below the level of pre-diabetes and my doctor wants me to meet with a nutritionist, despite being at a normal BMI.
Remember this post and this post about wanting to get my MMR updated? I later found my immunization records and saw that I was vaccinated twice for it. I thought I was all good. However, one of the recent blood tests was for rubella. Apparently my level of immunity to it is what my doctor calls "equivocal", which means they can tell I've been vaccinated but that I'm probably not entirely immune anymore. So, I went and had that updated. I can't help but be a little annoyed that I asked for it to be updated last year and was refused.
I have to be on metformin. However, it said to not take it if you're having a procedure that uses X-rays and contrasting dyes. I filled the prescription but elected not to take it until after the HSG.
Speaking of the HSG, the timing didn't work for March but I was able to schedule it for April. In fact, I just had it last week. I was really dreading it based on other people's horror stories but, for me, the worst part was the extra large speculum. Once they took the speculum out it was smooth sailing. I did not feel the balloon catheter and only experienced very mild cramping when the contrast was injected. My doctor said I passed the "natural childbirth" test. Though that pleases me, I kinda doubt natural childbirth is as easy as that.
When the HSG was over she showed me the X-rays and how everything looked normal. So, the good news is my tubes are not blocked. Yay!
Then she proceeded to tell me I could go ahead and have intercourse every couple days this cycle and to call her with a positive pregnancy test or CD1. *sigh*
This is where I really suck at being a patient. I get so nervous in the presence of doctors (and other authority figures) that I forget to ask questions, feel bad about contradicting them, and generally just want to get things over with as quickly as possible. I am not my own best advocate. I probably should have spoken up and reminded my doctor that I can't currently fulfill that prescription for penis-cillin. I should have asked what my steps are going forward with an IUI cycle, especially as it will have to be coordinated between two towns and more than one clinic. But, there were also two nurses listening in and HIPPA-be-damned, it's still nerve-wracking explaining to an audience of strangers that I am pursuing this as a single person. Plus, I just wanted to get out of the hospital gown and get dressed. Besides, I don't plan on cycling again until July for a few different reasons. The timetable could move up, but hopefully I can just call up the doctor's office and arrange things when I'm ready.
Also, right before the HSG the doctor informed me that my DHEA was elevated and that she wanted me on a second prescription for cycling but she never said what that med was and I forgot to ask after the procedure. I also forgot to ask when I should start the metformin and how long I should be taking it. I really need to be better about asking and remembering questions.
Glad you’re getting lots more information and addressing some key issues. I forget questions too, so what I do is make a list on my cell phone and refer to it before they leave to make sure I got the answers I needed. I’m sorry you’re still feeling judgment for being single. It really is their problem. You’re paying them and you’re their patient/client, so I would not feel at all bad about taking more time or asking the nurses to leave or whatever makes you more comfortable but I know it can be hard in the moment. Sending care and good thoughts for future success!
ReplyDelete