In doing more TTC research I have discovered that I should probably get boosters for some vaccines, as many of them do not give lifelong immunity as was previously thought. It is rather unfortunate that some of these diseases also seem to be undergoing a resurgence.
The good news is, most of the boosters can be done during pregnancy because they don't contain live viruses. There is one exception - the MMR vaccine. This is perhaps the most important booster as these diseases are quite dangerous to catch if you're pregnant because they can cause miscarriage or birth defects. The downside is, getting this vaccine means waiting at least four weeks before attempting TTC (which is actually slightly better than the old recommendation of waiting three months!).
At my age, there is a possibility that my immunity has worn off, so I have two choices. Get my titers checked or get a booster.
There is a vaccine/booster clinic being put on by the local hospital this coming week and I was thinking of going to that. Of course, it just happens to land on my birthday (because who doesn't want to get shots on their birthday, right?). However, it's taking place close to where I work and best of all, it's free!
The bad news is, I expect to ovulate sometime around May 12th (though if my last cycle is anything to go by, that could get pushed back) but I won't be done with the four-week waiting period until late May. Too late for May TTC.
I could just cry thinking about having to wait until June to start. I've already waited so long. My only comfort is that I know how worried and paranoid I'd be if I got pregnant and didn't have the MMR updated. It's bad enough that I will already be worrying about toxoplasmosis (love ya work kitties, just not your possible diseases!) and mold in my home (more on this frustrating home renovation problem later).
Very excited to see you getting ready for TTC. I agree you should get the MMR. Better to have a month delay than be worried.
ReplyDelete