Pages

Sunday, June 9, 2013

How I Know That Having a Baby is What I Really Want

I was thinking the other day about how much easier my life would be if I just gave up on the dream of having a baby.

I could go to graduate school, or get another bachelor's degree, or pursue any degree I wanted because it wouldn't matter how long it took me to finish. I wouldn't be a slave to my biological clock. And it wouldn't matter how much money it cost, or whether I could reasonably be guaranteed a job that would pay a decent amount. I would only have myself to provide for.

I could get a job that involved heavy lifting or weird hours. I wouldn't have to think in terms of future pregnancy or parenting.

I could get a one-bedroom or even studio apartment and I wouldn't even need a yard. I would only need room for me.

I could move to any city, state, or country I wanted. I wouldn't need to stay near my family for support.

I could use any money I saved for things like traveling, or buying land and getting some horses like I still occasionally dream of. I wouldn't need the money for doctor visits, medication, or treatments. I wouldn't need the money for daycare or a nanny or any other large expenses that come with children.

I could make travel plans for years in the future. I wouldn't need to plan around potential TTC, pregnancy, or baby.

I could stop worrying about whether I ovulate, or if I'm fertile at all.


Yet, despite all these possibilities, I cannot fathom giving up - especially before I've even tried. It's the dream I've had for longer than I can remember and it shapes so much of who I see myself as being.

It fills my daydreams and my thoughts and my imagination. It motivates me to keep working towards the goals I need to accomplish before I can finally turn all my energy to this dream.

And though any of the possibilities I mentioned might make my life easier in the short-term, all of them combined couldn't fill the void that would be left if I tucked my dreams of baby away with the other dreams that will never be fulfilled.


5 comments:

  1. Hang onto your dream. I'm still trying to hold onto mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said it!
    I did think, if I just didn't want to have children and be a mother, I would still own my own home, could go on the family vacation this summer, and other things.
    But I knew nothing of that would compare to going for the real dream, and hoping that this home I'm in will one day become a multi-generational home, and I can take my little one on our family vacations :)
    I definitely hear you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well said. The best thing you have on your side is your youth. Yes 29 is young compared to many of us....and you are starting down this path early which is wonderful - you will be a Mom one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You said this very nicely. I've had these thoughts too and then I realize that I won't be truly happy.

    ReplyDelete