Maybe I should title this post Should I Be Worried??
I started temping and charting with a BBT a year ago last May and at first it was great. I learned that sometimes I really do ovulate (at least the temps say I do). I also learned that my luteal phase is usually 11 or 12 (though once 14 and once 16) days long which made it a lot easier to predict when AF would come knocking - before temping it was always a guessing game.
Of course my temping isn't perfect, I tend to wake up too late on weekends. And some days I forget entirely, but for the most part it has worked.....at least it did until January of 2012.
My January to February cycle started on Jan. 12th. I didn't get another CD1 until Feb. 25th. That makes for a 44 day cycle. I have kept track of the arrival of AF (though not with charting) since at least 2007 and this makes the third 44 day cycle in that time period. Okay.....
AF showed up again on March 16th which makes for a 20 day cycle. According to my chart I didn't ovulate (not surprising). Then AF showed up again on April 2nd making this most recent cycle a 17 day one. (With, again, no ovulation).
I'm trying not to read too much into these short cycles. In 2010 I had a similar thing happen. AF came on August 16th, then September 3rd, then September 22nd, then October 13th.
I talked to a couple doctors (a family doctor and my gyno) a few months after the fact and they seemed to think it was caused by stress. (No testing was done.) Also, those cycles were much lighter than normal. (These recent cycles are full-on, minus the cramps I usually get).
Perhaps it is stress this time too. And it's not like my cycles have ever been regular anyway, they just usually don't come this close together.
All that just to ask you ladies this one question - Should I try to have some CD3 testing done? It's too late for this cycle of course, but maybe the next time I have a cycle where CD3 falls on a weekday??
I know Jendo mentioned these tests in a comment on one of my previous posts and I filed them away as something I should do when I turn 30. But perhaps I should do them now to get a lay of the land, so to speak? Or should I just chill and try to destress?
Here is a little more background and probably TMI:
AF usually lasts about 8-9 days. So for my most recent cycle AF started on Friday the 16th, lasted until about Saturday the 24th, I started spotting again on Saturday the 31st, then AF was officially back on Monday the 2nd. That's 14 of the last 22 days and it's not likely to be over until next Monday or Tuesday. Also, I haven't ovulated in four of the last 12 cycles.
To MN if you're reading: I saw that your blog is set to invitation only.....I hope things are going okay in your world. :(
I personally would at least talk to a medical professional about the varying cycles just to make sure everything is ok. Isis, send me an email at mnoteacher at ymail so I can send you an invite. Your blog isn't set up so I could email you to get the address. :-)
ReplyDeleteI would talk to your doctor about this. Its not normal. Also, I always thought cramps were just part of it but apparently they aren't normal. I realized that after being diagnosed with endometriosis. I would definitely recommend trying to figure out what's going on.
ReplyDeleteI definitely would talk to your doctor and have your Day 3 numbers checked. It's never to early to gain more information about your fertility.
ReplyDeleteDoing a little testing not might be a bad idea. Varying cycles without ovulation can be a sign of PCOS. I wish I had paid attention to these signs before I started on my TTC journey. It might have made it a little easier.
ReplyDeleteTesting never hurts & at least you can have an idea early if there's a problem & peace of mind if everything is fine. I hate to quote NBC but "the More You Know" and all...
ReplyDeleteTesting is always a good idea...though the numbers don't tell you everything, they do give you some idea of where you stand.
ReplyDeleteAnd then, if they're ok - step away from the thermometer! (Easy for me to say now, I know, but it's easy to get overly worried about these things.) :)
I found your blog via another blog and I hope you don't mind if I chime in here.
ReplyDeleteI would definitely recommend getting your cd3 hormone levels checked. You may also want to talk to your doctor about possibly doing an endometrial biopsy, just to rule out hyperplasia.
Good luck!