Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

A Compromise

First of all, thank you to those who commented on my last post - you gave me a lot of food for thought.

In fact I'm still mulling over your comments and will probably post more on them in other posts, but for now I think I have come up with a plan. I want to feel truly ready for a baby, but I don't want to wait too long so I have come up with a tentative compromise on when to start.

First I am going to try my hardest to complete the goals I call the Big Three (more on them later). If those are completed by age 30 then I will sit back and assess my emotional readiness. If I feel ready I will go for it. If I don't then I will give myself the time I need to get ready - with the idea that I will start no later than age 33. It's sort of a floating plan I guess, and it could easily change depending on a lot of things but I work best with a goal in mind.

So, the three goals I would like to accomplish by the time I turn 30:
  1. Pay off my student loan
  2. Get a different job or an extra job
  3. Get a place of my own - whether it be a house, condo, or apartment
If these goals were done and a doctor told me "you need to start trying NOW" then I feel I could actually do so. If  a doctor said to me tomorrow "you need to start trying" I would be royally screwed. So I guess it's time to get myself in gear and get these accomplished.

3 comments:

  1. It is very good to have goals- just don't get lost behind them. That was my experience. After my divorce, I had so many (very good and important) goals that kept jumping in front of my having a baby till I put it off to the last minute only to find out that my time to do it relatively easily had already passed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have a solid plan---particularly about finances. When I found out I was pregnant with twins, I was so glad that I took a year to pay off my debt and to build some solid savings.

    But, as Nell wrote, don't get lost behind your goals and lose track of time.

    ReplyDelete